– If there was one certainty in a cowboy’s life, it was that sooner or later, he was going to get thrown from his horse. Even the best trained horses would occasionally spook or fall in rough terrain, posing a danger to life and limb for both the cowboy and his horse. Most times a fall resulted in only bumps and bruises, but it was the serious injuries that cowboys feared when they were miles away from help. Even so, these Old West quotes show that cowboys still had a sense of humor about the dangers of their work.
1. If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain.
2. Know when to ride hard and when to ride easy.
3. Any man can be thrown from an untamed horse, but it takes a real man to get back on and tame it.
4. Life is breathing deeply, seeing appreciatively, listening closely, and riding hard!
5. This is gonna be as easy as milking a bull.
6. It’s all very simple; keep your mind in the middle while your butt spins round and round.
7. Some of these bulls are going to spin those cowboys so fast, they'll look like a frog in a blender.
8. You're not a cowboy unless you've been thrown hard once in your lifetime, and you're still riding today.
9. If she goes any slower, she'll have to go backward to keep on moving.
10. A fall from a horse always makes you a little wiser.
Tell us your story – have you ever been thrown and gotten right back on?
If you haven't already, please subscribe to the Cowboy Spirit Blog to get all the Cowboy Spirit goodness delivered right to your email inbox so you don't miss a thing!
Download our FREE eBook, "The Spirit of the American Cowboy"