– For all of the freedom suggested by the idea of the open range, cowboys had a lot of responsibility. They were responsible for caring for their horses, the herd, and each other with little outside support for weeks and months at a time. This often meant eighteen hour workdays, since a cowboy always took care of himself last. For this reason many of the best Old West quotes have to do with the relationship between a cowboy and his trail mates.
1. “I’d like to live on horseback and just be a cowboy.” Paul Walker
2. The best way to get a cowboy to do something is to suggest he’s too old for it.
3. “A good pard will ride with you till hell freezes over, and a little while on the ice.” – Texas Bix Bender
4. Cowboys walk the walk, talk the talk, and ride the hide.
5. A bad day roping beats a good day at work.
6. A cowboy is loyal to his brand, to his friends, and to those he rides with.
7. If you can’t hang with the big dogs, then stay off the porch!
8. I am not falling asleep! I was just checking for holes in my eyelids.
9. The bigger your mouth is the better it looks when it’s shut.
10. Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey.
We’ve looked far and wide for quotes in our Old West quote series but we bet you’ve heard some great ones too. Let us know what we’re missing!
If you haven't already, please subscribe to the Cowboy Spirit Blog to get all the Cowboy Spirit goodness delivered right to your email inbox so you don't miss a thing!
Download our FREE eBook, "The Spirit of the American Cowboy"