Cowboy Quotes - 10 Old West Sayings Worth Remembering #19
– Of all the tools cowboys used, none was as important as his horse. Horses allowed men to cover great distances and keep control of herds that could number in the tens of thousands. Strings of horses for each cowboy were brought on drives not only to allow each horse time for rest but to ensure each cowboy always had a mount. Cowboys fully recognized the contributions these animals made to the work, and treated them accordingly. This is why it became a common tip-off in Western films for an antagonist to treat his horse badly, such as The Kid in “Bite the Bullet.” Such poor treatment was a rarity, and gives us these inspiring quotes on the cowboy and his horse.
1. "When my time comes, just skin me and put me up there on Trigger, just as though nothing had ever changed." – Roy Rogers
2. A real cowboy is the man out in the snow at 10 below caring for his horses and cows before anything else.
3. You live in hell? Ha! I ride him every day.
4. You know you have the keys to a cowboy's heart when he lets you ride his horse.
5. “When I was a kid, if a guy got killed in a western movie I always wondered who got his horse.” – George Carlin
6. “A horse can lend its rider the speed and strength he or she lacks, but the rider who is wise remembers it is no more than a loan.” – Pam Brown
7. “It's better to want the horse you don't have than to have the horse you don't want.” – Rick Meyer
8. You can tell a true cowboy by the type of horse that he rides.
9. Real cowboys never run, they just ride away.
10. If wishes were horses, even beggars would ride.
Can’t get enough Cowboy Spirit? Sign up for our e-mail newsletter or check out our new teaser video on the home page!
If you haven't already, please subscribe to the Cowboy Spirit Blog to get all the Cowboy Spirit goodness delivered right to your email inbox so you don't miss a thing!
Download our FREE eBook, "The Spirit of the American Cowboy"