– Cowboys were nothing if not inventive. The nature of their work was demanding and gave rise to an entrepreneurial spirit that gave us inventions such as the chuck wagon, cowboy boots, and barbed wire, as well as improvements on existing tools such as the Stetson hat. These things made their work easier and sometimes saved money for the ranch owners, too. Of course, another thing many cowboys invented in their spare time was quotes. Here are ten Old West sayings for your entertainment.
1. If you get bucked off, you better get back on because belt buckles don’t shine in the dirt!
2. “Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock.” – Will Rogers
3. The only good reason to ride a bull is to meet a nurse.
4. Don't let rocks in your boots keep you from walking tall.
5. Remember, nothing fits better than old boots, old jeans and an old hat.
6. You don't learn much when everything goes right.
7. There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence.
8. A little hard work never hurt anybody, never trying was what killed them in the end.
9. If I tell you a rooster can pull a train, you better hook him up!
We’ve all had a boss this stubborn at least once in our lives!
10. Time is precious, so waste it wisely.
What other cowboy quotes can you remember? Please share with us in the comments section!
If you haven't already, please subscribe to the Cowboy Spirit Blog to get all the Cowboy Spirit goodness delivered right to your email inbox so you don't miss a thing!
Download our FREE eBook, "The Spirit of the American Cowboy"