CowboySpirit.TV – A number of Old West sayings passed down to us by cowboys aren’t just pieces of advice on how to deal with a bad day or a bad neighbor, but life in general. Sometimes the advice is funny and sometimes not, but in all cases it is true to the Cowboy Spirit.
1. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
2. If it is a horse ride it, if it is a fence fix it, and if she is a lady treat her like a queen.
3. Life is too short, ride your best horse first!
4. Love is a place to rest, the open country, and a horse for the both of you.
5. If your horse doesn’t want to go there, neither should you.
6. If you're on horseback talking to someone and they're on the ground, dismount; it isn't polite to talk down to people.
7. “Never be too quick to criticize yourself. It's not fair to all of your friends and relatives, who are dying to do it for you.” – Texas Bix Bender, western humorist
8. Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
This reminds us of the modern day Southern saying “Don’t go around your elbow to get to your thumb” – in other words, the simplest way is usually best!
9. You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy.
10. When you count your blessings, count your horse twice.
If you haven't already, please subscribe to the Cowboy Spirit Blog to get all the Cowboy Spirit goodness delivered right to your email inbox so you don't miss a thing!
Download our FREE eBook, "The Spirit of the American Cowboy"