CowboySpirit.TV – In addition to advice, cowboys were very likely to give their opinions as stated wisdom. These often short, usually humorous, and always entertaining one-line riddles and sayings can still be heard at many ranches and rodeos today.
1. You can’t impress a horse or a good friend.
2. “Any coward shooting from night ambush will be too nervous to hit me.” – Elijah S. Brian, renowned gunfighter
3. Every dog should have a few fleas.
This is a great way to say that we all have our faults, but they’re a part of us nonetheless.
4. That man could talk the hinges off a gate.
This was a little more insulting than a person might take it today, since this saying originated back in the days before WD-40 and gates creaked in all weather!
5. You don't have to be a chicken to know a rotten egg.
6. He couldn’t carry a tune if you gave him a bucket.
7. It's quieter than a mouse chewing on cotton.
In other words, it’s darn quiet!
8. “A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each others' company.” – Anonymous
Not many outfits used dogs in cow herding, since the dogs were more likely to upset the cows than not, but cowboys who took on odd jobs frequently would have a canine companion.
9. You can't weigh the facts if you got the scales weighed down with your own opinions.
10. He don’t care what you call him as long as you call him to supper.
Don’t forget that CowboySpirit.TV is updating our blog several times a week with news on our films, appearances, and the history of the Old West. Stay in touch and sign up for blog posts by e-mail using the link below.
If you haven't already, please subscribe to the Cowboy Spirit Blog to get all the Cowboy Spirit goodness delivered right to your email inbox so you don't miss a thing!
Download our FREE eBook, "The Spirit of the American Cowboy"